Sunday, July 11, 2010

Soccer Ball Game

Futbol (aka soccer) fever runs deep in my blood. Coming from a Latin country I think implies this will be the case. It's interesting that even though I grew up far from my motherland it still managed to seep it's way in. But of course it would. Having a fanatic father, grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc around me...I had no chance! It's all good though. I have fond memories of sitting around my grandparents' T.V. and watching the World Cup games. Even at young ages us kids were allowed to participate in the intrafamilial loonie poll on who would take home the title that year. It was lots of fun. And I actually won one year! We would always play soccer at family picnics. I clearly remember one particular time I was goalie and getting a super ball kicked (by my fanatic uncle) right in the stomach. My mom was furious with him...how dare he play at an adult level with kids!? Hey, at least I stopped it.

Yes, futbol is and always will be a part of my life. And surely it will be a part of our kiddos' too.

This year is the first time that Maddie is getting into it. She watches as we do; colouring on the sidelines and asking questions. She calls it "the soccer ball game". Isaac even gets involved, and the other day he started yelling along when things got exciting. Next time the World Cup is on I am sure we will actually be able to get more involved. Right now a lot of the games are missed, or watched in pieces as we juggle around mealtimes, naptimes and diaper changes.

As the World Cup comes to a close today, so does another year of soccer memories. I think Maddie will remember this when she's older and I hope they are good memories. Like mine.

Vaya EspaƱa!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by!